Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Fears ~ CD15

When I was in college, I read an article in Cosmopolitan Magazine about Gynecological visits and how you should prepare yourself for them. The article was geared toward younger visitors and basically stated that your Gyno would treat you differently based on your age and especially how you were dressed for the appointment. The article polled different Gynecologists and asked them what tests they would run on a 19 year old wearing pajamas compared to a 20 year old in slacks. The tests run for the 19 year old included a complete STD work up in addition to a routine pap smear. The 20 year old was only subjected to the pap smear. In order to avoid snap judgements, the article advised younger visitors (ages 18-25) to dress up for the appointment in business casual clothing and to stay away from wearing things like sweat pants or tight jeans and tank tops.

Ever since reading that article 6+ years ago I always freak out the morning of OB/GYN appointment day. This morning for instance, I decided to wear a black sun dress instead of what I would regularly wear to work (jeans and a solid color t-shirt). I am also wearing more makeup (blush and lip gloss) than a normal day at work and I plan to put on more foundation before the appointment. Basically, I am scared out of my mind and apparently the way I handle that fear is to want to look older and more professional. I think it's because the way I look is the only thing I can control about the appointment.

Today, while wearing my black sundress, lip gloss, and blush, I hope to find out why I am always in so much pain throughout my entire cycle. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment